For those of us who enjoy the privacy of encrypted chats, Skype has always been an issue. While Skype is encrypted to an extent (third parties would have to decrypt Skypes proprietary encryption), there is still an open policy within Skype itself. A chain is only as strong as it weakest link, so unless you know its secure end to end, you won’t know for sure.
Enter Adium and Pidgin with the OTR (Off The Record) encryption protocol. Install Adium for Mac or Pidgin for Windows/Mac/Linux and install the necessary addon plugins (Adium, Pidgin) to get Skype working.
Note: The native Skype app will still need to be run in the background for this setup to work, but you can minimize/hide it.
Once you have this setup on both ends (Adium/Pidgin with Skype plugin and OTR enabled), start a conversation, force OTR encryption and woalla… you are chatting private. Maximize/show the skype window and you can see your chat posts fly by in gibberish .
Now we just have to find a way to encrypt Skype voice/video chats and we’ll be all set.
- Adium – Push to iPhone with Remodium
- Security and encryption for Gmail via Firefox extension
- iMess: Knox, HDD failures and DiskWarrior
- TrueCrypt – Free full disk encryption
- Trusted email encryption and signing
- How to Choose and Install Automatic Lawn Sprinklers Though it might look like an intimidating project, you can install automatic lawn sprinklers and avoid the pricey professional installation fees. Sprinkler systems come with step by step installation instructions to help you. First, you need to decide what kind of automatic sprinklers will work best for you. If you......
- How to Remove SecureKeeper | Secure Keeper Removal SecureKeeper is a rogue antivirus application in the Wini family (with their recent new look user interface.) The Wini family is a very long running line of rogue security applications that have been producing two to three different rogues each week. Of course, the primary changes are the names, but......
- How to Install Recessed Lighting Recessed lighting is a great way to add some modern flair to any room in your home. It looks especially snazzy in the living room or kitchen, where you can focus the light in on key features in the room. Recessed lighting is exactly what it sounds like – instead......